top of page

Italian Food Certifications

Updated: Jan 9, 2023

In Italy, various food designations such as (DOP), Denominazione di Origine Protetta and (IGP) designation Indicazione Geografica Protetta , are given by the EU to products of excellence, typical of Italian food quality, many specific to a particular region for example Parmigiano Reggiano, Mortadella di Bologna or Prosciutto di Parma. The designations promote the authentic characteristics and reputation (yes, in Italy food has a reputation!) of certain agricultural products such as cheese, meat, salumi, vegetables, fruit and olive oil and wine ( VdT, IGT, DOC, DOCG).

The need for guaranteed certifications of Italian food quality became more apparent as Italian cuisine gained worldwide popularity in the mid-1900s. Low-quality, knock off products were being marketed under the guise of the high-quality products they mimicked. To protect the authenticity and culinary heritage of these and other traditionally made Italian products, the Italian government initiated production standards and labeling laws, legally guaranteed by the European Union, to designate regional authenticity and production standards by issuing various adopted markings, stamps, symbols and logos to establish authenticity that consumers can trust.

Italy worked with the European Union to create a series of certifications (DOP/PDO and IGP) that encouraged producers to focus on quality, tradition and reliability to develop a food reputation that guaranteed “made in Italy” meant Made in Italy by Italian producers with originated ingredients using traditional methods. DOP - Denominazione d’Origine Protetta and PDO Protected Designation of Origin are acronyms that symbolize a certification granted by the European Union that ensures the production of a genuine product made in a traditional zone of production preserving original methods of making to ensure the highest standards of quality. Another designation known as IGP designation Indicazione Geografica Protetta , (“Indication of Geographic Protection”) ensures that at least one element, either with regard to its origin or processing, are carried out in the territory declared.

Various markings, stamps, symbols and logos are used to designate agriculturally certified products including the famous certification mark of the “Parmigiano Reggiano Consorzio Tutela” fire branded on the rind of the cheese and on product packaging.

Eating and enjoying artisan produced, locally derived, traditionally produced from a specific region is important for a number of reasons. Traceable ingredients ensure authentic flavors, established regulations and guarantees ensure production methods and standards. Here at CosituttiMarketPlace we support local producers and generational families committed to preserving and protecting the culinary and cultural heritage of regional Italian food and promote various products with agricultural certifications and the EU organic designations (BIO) with strict conditions on how products must be produced, processed, transported and stored. The organic green leaf logo can only be used on products when they contain at least 95% of organic ingredients and additionally respect further strict conditions for the remaining 5%.

CosituttiMarketPlace Agriculturally Certified Products Include:

IGP Certified Maletti Aged Balsamic Vinegar from Modena

Bio Certified Tenuta di Capezzana Extra Virgin Olive Oil

Bio Certified La Bella Angiolina Ligurian Trofiette Pasta

Bio Certified Casa Corneli Organic Cannellini Beans

Bio Certified Casa Corneli Organic Umbrian Lentils

Bio Certified Casa Corneli Organic Borlotti Beans

1 view0 comments


bottom of page